Saturday, July 24, 2010

Lycra, youth soccer and a really GREAT song

 Really?
Then you better start swimmin'
Or you'll sink like a stone
For the times they are a-changin' - Bob Dylan
There was a time not too many years ago that I would not be caught dead in Lycra.  However innocuous the intended use was (climbing, running), Lycra was too David Lee Roth for me to  consider.

Times have changed, I guess.  Not only am I wearing it, I'm acutely aware that I've just uploaded the dorkiest possible photo with me wearing it.  You see, there's two things going on at the moment.  I'm a little sore (thus the recovery tights) and I'm a little bored (thus the photo).

I had to get to San Diego before 3:00 to pick up my packet for tomorrow's race.  I was in the hotel early.  Mary and Ian couldn't make this trip, so I am rolling solo.  And though I would have liked to spend some time in the pool or soaking in the hot tub, the hotel is packed with hundreds of 12 to 14 year old boys and their moms, dads, and little sisters.  The reason?  A youth soccer tournament.

So I have sequestered myself into my room.  Boredom has set in.  I changed a tire, cleaned up my bike, and checked and re-checked all my gear.  I  don't have much left to do until tomorrow morning.

 My stuff.

The weather seems fine for race time, though I would have preferred an earlier wave start.  The male 40-44 AG goes at 8:15.  It's not that I want to get it over with, I'd rather just get it started.  That said, due to the later start I don't anticipate any issues with getting a last minute porta-potty visit in if needed, so I guess that's worth something.  They are predicting 4 foot swells and a 9 MPH cross wind on the bike course.  This should equate to some decent conditions.

Anyhow, I just had a Caesar salad w/ a chicken breast plus some hummus for dinner.   I suppose I'll check everything again, take a shower and go to bed.

Oh yeah, I forgot.  I have an official song for this race.  I listened to it about 10 times driving down today.  It's called The Outsiders by The Doves.  I usually end up listening to this song 10 times every time it comes up on a play-list.  To me, it's the perfect song.  It's got pretty much everything I love about rock/pop music packed into a little over 3 minutes - weird, appregiated old school synth sounds, noisy & droning guitars, compressed drums, spacey effects panning across the stereo spectrum and a minor key vocal melody.  Pink Floyd meets The Buzzcocks, I guess.

I hope everyone is having a good weekend.

12 comments:

Barbie said...

Goodluck for tomorrow. Hope the kids don't run up and down the corridors all night.

Jennifer said...

Goo Luck at the race. I am sure you will kick some booty, how can you not with all thay lycra! BTW, I don't think it's a dorky picture of you at all! Cheers!

KovasP said...

Head out in that outfit and the parents will probably lock up their kids for safety reasons. I'll forgive you the Austin Powers meets triathlon photo, but only because you mentioned Pink Floyd and the Buzzcocks, 2 of my all-time favorite bands.

Unknown said...

I walked into a 7-Eleven during my long ride yesterday. Rather "tough" looking lady behind the counter says to me, "Hot on this morning?". I reply in kind and she then says, "You have the wrong type of bike, you need a Harley!". My reply was,"nah, this gives me an excuse to wear lycra in public." She laughed, but in a nervous way!

Good luck at the race today! It will be cool to see how much you have improved over the course of a year.

64 CLASSIC said...

Patrick--Good luck racing today. Will be looking for the race report!!



Thanks for dropping in on the blog. The arch was fun. My son was a little nervous but we went to the top and saw the sites.

Kat said...

LOL @ David Lee Roth!!

Kick butt at your race! GO PATRICK!!

KC (my 140 point 6 mile journey) said...

You might be just finishing up about now. Hope you had a great race. Your picture looks like you are getting ready to throw down some kung fu on someone. Can't wait to hear all about the race.

Aimee said...

Ha ha..love the lycra picture! I hope you had a good race! I can't wait to hear about it! :)

Bryan S said...

Ha, loving the pic! Good luck at the race! You should be starting about now.

Anonymous said...

I am a new follower, and lvoed your post! Ok, the photo made me chuckle. :) I hope the race went good.

Chrsitine Jensen said...

Good luck in your race!! (and I love the photo)

Heather said...

Nice to meet you. Go Lycra and I will be looking forward to reading the race report.

Nice pic too!

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails