I don't (think I) do this very often, but last night I forgot to lock my car. When I came out this morning it was immediately clear that someone had been in there overnight - about half of the contents the glove compartment and most of the center console bin where spread all over the front seats.
I had "oh shit" moment and started going through what was still there. Though I can't be exactly sure, it doesn't seem like they got much.
Here is what they didn't get:
- Transition bag with all my swim stuff except my wetsuit
- "The Who - 30 Years Of Maximum R&B" box set
- Passport (which by me leaving this in the car actually makes me dumber than the thieves)
- Pair of Newtons
- My favorite Capo cycling socks
- Various chargers, USB cables, etc.
Here is what they did get:
- A broken IPod
Clearly, I was extremely lucky.
So on the outside chance that these dummies who obviously don't know what's valuable happen to have kept accurate records of what crap they took from each car, I just may sleep on the couch tonight with the killers at my side in case they come back to trade up.
And of course I'll make sure the car is locked.