Wednesday, August 25, 2010
Join the "Virtualman" Olympic Triathlon Challenge
OK, check it out. I'm hosting a contest in the form of a virtual Olympic distance triathlon that can be put together by adding up parts of your weekly training schedule. Here's how it's going to work:
1) All entrants must complete the following distances within any continuous 7 day period:
- 1500 meters of swimming
- 40 kilometers of cycling
- 10 kilometers of running
2) The discipline(s) do not have to be done in the traditional order, nor do they have to be done all at once. Rather, you will submit your cumulative time "up to" the required distance, using a "first distance done" basis in each discipline. Here's an example:
Monday (Start): Swim 1000 meters (30 minutes)
Tuesday: Bike 30 kilometers (1 hour, 10 minutes)
Thursday: Swim 1000 meters (30 minutes, but the first 500 meters take 15 minutes)
Friday: Run 10 kilometers (55 minutes)
Sunday (Finish): Bike 20 kilometers (50 minutes, but the first 10 kilometers take 25 minutes)
Based on these 7 days, the race time would be:
Swim - 45 minutes (All of Monday + the first 500 meters from Thursday)
Bike - 1 hour, 35 minutes (All of Tuesday + the first 10 kilometers from Saturday
Run - 55 minutes (Completed all on Friday)
TOTAL RACE TIME = 3 hours, 15 minutes.
3) There are no transition times
4) The race will start September 1st and must be completed by September 30th.
5) There are two divisions - Male & Female
6) The race assumes a flat course. There's no point for someone who lives in Colorado to go climb a 6000 foot mountain pass while people in Texas will be screaming down flat, straight roads.
7) I'm allowed to participate but I can't win (not that I would anyway).
There will be 3 winners in each division based on the best 3 times in each division. The prizes are as follows:
First Place/Grand Prize - I will come to your house and cook you dinner before October 1st, 2011**
Second Place - One container of Fluid Recovery Drink (your choice of flavor)
Third Place - A $20 gift certificate to your favorite multisport store or website.
** If for some reason there is no way I can make it to where you live and/or you think it's creepy that I just invited myself to your house, I will pick up dinner for you and your family or a couple friends at a restaurant near you.
The race will start September 1st. If you are interested in participating let me know by commenting on this post and emailing me at 17281posse (at) gmail.com. I will then email you an excel time sheet for you to fill out during your race week. Once you have completed the time sheet, please email it back.
If you have any questions, please ask them in the form of a comment on this post or email me.
I hope some of you participate and good luck!!!