Saturday, February 19, 2011

Seriously Warm And Fuzzy

It all started yesterday when I upgraded to Firefox 4.0 Beta.  Once I installed it, my homepage defaulted back to a mozilla.com page.  And on this new homepage was a link to Firefox Live, which is a page dedicated to streaming live video of Firefoxes cubs in their habitat at the Knoxville Zoo.

Mozilla has put together a pretty impressive set-up.  You can watch the feed from any number of angles, including "Cub Cam - Frolic", "Cub Cam - Snooze" and Cub Cam - 360 Cute".  I started with "Frolic", but didn't see anything.  When I switched over to "Snooze" I saw one of the cubs, but it quickly moved out of the frame.  So I started to experiment with "360 Cute",  using it to triangulate where the action was and then switching to the other cameras as applicable.  I stayed on the site for an hour.

It's an hour of time I'll never get back.  But that's OK - I don't want it back.  Because watching Firefox cubs basically do nothing was oddly entertaining.  And as the site's tag-line suggests, Firefoxes ARE seriously warm and fuzzy.  I like me some warm and fuzzy from time to time.

But the problem with my brain is that it wanders.  I started wondering how easy it would be to set up my own live stream.  A quick Google search answered that question and within 5 minutes I had an account on ustream.tv and was streaming video of me talking to my boss on the telephone.  True, not that exciting.  But the video feed is only part of the equation.  You also need an audience and an event.

A big part of success in social media is leveraging the crap out of all your assets.  I have this blog, which has a bit of an audience.  I also had my crack team of web marketeers - Jeff from Dangle The Carrot, Mandy from Caratunk Girl and Kovas from Midwest Multisport Life to start a blistering Twitter campaign.  "Blistering" may be an overstatement, but then again hype is a-ok when it comes to marketing:
@ @ Beavers on Bikes? Life Altering Event Happening Sat 10 AM to 10 PM PST! Please RT!
The event part is easy.  Following the logic that hype is a-ok, creating an event can almost be an afterthought.  All you have to do is convince everyone that the event that took you 5 seconds to think of is pure awesomeness, perhaps even life changing.  Don't believe me?  Search YouTube.  Anything goes.  Everyone is Spielberg and mediocrity is regularly rewarded.  And I have mediocre down.

So perhaps for the first time in blogging history, I have created a Bike Cam.  For the next 12 hours, you will be able to watch my bikes sit in my still as unfinished living room.  I have also strategically placed the dog beds in the shot.  So if you park yourself in front of your computer all day and/or check back often, chances are you'll get a glimpse of Natasha and Joe.  That's my seriously warm and fuzzy.

Please spread the word.  Let's see if we can take the wind out of the sails of those damned Firefoxes, at least for a day.  PS - sorry about the commercials.


Free live streaming by Ustream

20 comments:

Unknown said...

I was planning on plopping myself on the couch tonight and watching a documentary with a bowl of popcorn. Screw that! I'm going to watch Bike Cam. You dirty little genius, you!

I think streaming video in my apartment may get popular very fast, but for completely different reasons. :)

Caratunk Girl said...

Love it. Thanks for the mention. I blistered it out to twitterverse again. Family here, I am not able to blog much. But can tweet!

KovasP said...

Just saw you walk by - this is so much better than Jersey Shore. Hope this pilot gets picked up by one of the networks.

Unknown said...

tweet :)

Unknown said...

that is surprisingly addictive. To wait and see if anything happens...throw something or send a message some how..... :)

Unknown said...

Ur seat is too high ...

Raegun said...

There's a dog....sleeping! I'm glued to the screen. ;)

Caroline said...

just saw your dog come in followed by the real star of your family!!!
what time is he coming back?!!!

Jess @ Blonde Ponytail said...

LOL @ Kate! You are a techie genius!

Jess @ Blonde Ponytail said...

I see dead people.



No, I did see some cars outside the window.

Anonymous said...

you need to put this camera on your helmet next time you ride...

Chris K said...

I fear that this may become viral for the millions of dog lovers out there.

Ironman By Thirty said...

I don't know what's worse, the fact that I am watching a video of your bikes or the fact that there are 2 other views. haha

Great idea!

Unknown said...

Okay I didn't go to the Firefox link yet, but if you thought that was fun - check out our zoo: http://www.cmzoo.org/animalsPlants/animalCams/giraffeCam.asp

Anyone else have zoo cams?

Unknown said...

the suspense! I'm just so excited for something to happen!

Barbie said...

What an AWESOME idea. I can't see anything yet, saying your off air.

misszippy said...

A day late a dollar short--you're off air now. I'm bummed. But I did learn of it via Kovas, so your marketing was spot on.

Anonymous said...

Cool idea? But unlucky me..off the air right now. :)

Big Clyde said...

Dude, this sucks.

Nevermind that you were filming a livestream of two bicycles...it is now 4:30pm on Saturday and I AM TICKED OFF THAT I MISSED IT!

Seriously, this sucks. I'm quite upset. Get those two bikes on livecam 24/7 so I can see what I missed.

(I hate being left out)

Jason said...

What kind of audience did you get? I was going to get a ustream account for my dog and let you watch her all day long run and run and run.

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails