Monday, August 30, 2010

Guest post by Kovas - Vegetarianism + Veganism

 Vegan Lemon-Pepper Potato Gnocchi

As some of you who read this blog might remember, during the course of my life I have been both vegetarian or vegan, and not. As part of my general health and healthy eating, improving my nutrition, I am once again making my way back to veganism, being mindful that my wife is not and currently does not want to be vegan, and she does most of the shopping and cooking.

It was so great to get the September 2010 issue of Bicycling Magazine and see, on succeeding pages, a profile of Portobello Vegan Trattoria (http://www.bicycling.com/training-nutrition/nutrition-weight-loss/epiphany), a vegan restaurant in Portland, OR and an article, "Veg Out," by the Fit Chick, Selene Yeager (http://www.bicycling.com/training-nutrition/nutrition-weight-loss/veg-out).

I'm not big on proselytizing, but I think it's both cool and important that one of the leading cycling magazines makes the effort to promote healthier eating.

 Thanks to Kovas Palubinskas for covering for The Road by submitting this post today.  Kovas has a blog of his own, Midwest Multisport Life that you should check out if you have not already.

9 comments:

FLATOUT JIM said...

I'm not a vegetarian, but wifey and I try to work a couple of vegetarian dishes into our weekly menu from time to time.

We love Indian food. One of our fav dishes is Veggie Korma. I also like Flafal Swandwiches.

MMM MMM Goood. I'm getting hungry.

KovasP said...

Probably one of your best posts yet Patrick. Keep up the great work!

Jennifer said...

I have that issue and read that same article with great interest. I would not call my sell anything, except a healthy eater, and try and use the best concepts from all three dietary categories to make sure my food is fun, healthy, and well balanced! Cheers Kovas!

Johann said...

I always eat healthy but I’m not vegetarian. I really crave for red meat after long ultras.

Diana Tries-A-Tri! said...

I'm vegetarian! Do I win a prize?

misszippy said...

I've dipped my toes in vegetarian eating on and off again. Mostly I do eat meatless and I'm quite happy that way. Nice job on the guest post Kovas.

Alisa said...

My husband and I have been trying to eat less meat. We live in Portland, OR so it's pretty easy to find veggie alternatives.

Thanks for the recipe.

Aimee said...

I actually am a vegetarian, almost a vegan, and I love it! I actually don't miss the meat at all (except turkey, which I eat in the Turkey Tom samis at Jimmy Johns..yum!). I have been seeing more and more articles about being vegetarian and ways to make vegetarian meals. I think it's awesome!

Unknown said...

That makes me want to subscribe to Bicycling again. I'm not vegan or veg., but I can't eat dairy and I don't eat a lot of meat. I have the opposite problem: I shop and cook for everyone else and, then, realize that I can hardly eat any of it. Some nights, I end up cooking dinner twice.

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails